Cloud Operations Engineer
The many and varied responsibilities required of an engineer within a growing company. A Cloud Operations Engineer works within a small, high-end team. The role requires a deep understanding of Linux server administration, Networking and key applications and services running on virtualized and non-virtualized platforms. The role’s primary focus is the simplification of providing instances of the company’s products and services by leveraging software development and open source solutions to automate the many tasks required to enable and manage our offerings. In addition, Cloud Operations engineers are responsible for complex problem resolution, creating and improving procedures and facilitating communication. Other duties include researching, proofing, and authoring technical documentation that are beneficial to the company. Responsibilities also include providing oversight of a number of Hosted Linux systems, databases, and network troubleshooting, and providing various technical solutions to the business. This is a great career opportunity for a highly motivated individual who wants to extend and utilize his or her solid and broad skills.
This role is critical to the success of Sequent and as such requires both depth and breadth in most of the technologies leveraged in a complex data center environment to support multi-tiered applications. Furthermore a solid understanding of the components required to provide high-availability application and networking environment is required. The role requires talented people with a strong work ethic and the following qualifications:
• 3+ years experience in a 24×7 high-availability production environment
• 5+ years Linux System Administration in a complex data center environment
• Expertise in deploying Application Server such as JBoss EAP, Websphere or Weblogic in multi-tier architecture
• In depth understanding of TCP/IP LAN/WAN networking technologies and troubleshooting techniques
• Experience with relational and NoSQL database technologies such as Oracle, MySQL, Cassandra and CouchDB.
• A background in automating the management of a data center environment
• Experience in J2EE, JMS, MQ and SOAP application troubleshooting
• Experience with hardware or software based firewalls, load balancers and proxy servers
• Experience with intrusion detection systems and network and server security hardening
• Experience with virtualization technologies such as VMWare and KVM
• Experience in monitoring, metrics collection, and reporting using open source tools.
• Experience with kickstart, chef, puppet
• Good knowledge of scripting languages such as Perl, Python and PHP etc.
• Good understanding of PKI. Hardware Security Module (HSM) management experience a plus.
• Excellent organizational skills, and oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work with minimal supervision, making decisions based upon priorities, schedules and an understanding of business initiatives.
• Critical attention to detail, thoroughness and documentation
• Providing rotational on call support
• A thorough background check and references will be required.
• BCS degree or Equivalent experience
• Industry certifications, preferably RHCE, CCNA and CCNP
• Good understanding of Software Development Lifecycle
• Security compliance experience such as ITIL, PCI, ISO 27001 or SOX
As part of Sequent’s employment process candidates will be required to complete a pre-employment screening process, prior to an offer being made. This will involve at a minimum identity and employment verification, criminal background, professional references, education verification and professional qualifications.
Sequent Supports Workforce Diversity
Santa Clara, CA
Very limited travel